Today was a day of miracles. There is just no other way to say it.
It began 3 days ago when we let our pet rabbit out in the yard to play. When we went to put him back in his cage, he ran under the porch and no matter what we tried we couldn't get him out. So we had no choice but to leave him outside. The next morning, there was no sign of him anywhere. We were sad and thought he was gone for good. We had to put down our cat, Piper earlier in the week, so the thought of losing 2 pets in one week was tough.
This snowy, cold morning, we had gotten up early to bring Isaiah to homeschool enrichment class. I was getting ready when I heard Benji yell out, "No WAY." I asked him what was going on, and he said, "Fluffers is out in the yard!" Sure enough, our sweet pet was alive and well after all (after no sign of him for 3 days), just sitting happily in the middle of the snowy yard. Miracle #1.
After a slow drive to school, I was able to stay and watch Isaiah perform in a short Christmas play with his French class. He was an angel in the play. He said his line and participated well...it was very sweet. A gentle reminder of what Christmas is really all about. Miracle #2.
After the play, I checked email on my phone on the way to the car (we'd been expecting to hear about our court date for the past few days), and saw an email from our case worker. It said "COURT DATE!!! I'll call you as soon as I get into the office!!" Super excited, I went to the car, dropped my keys, phone, purse, etc. in the car and stepped out to brush off the snow. After I brushed off the snow, I went to get inside and the car was LOCKED. Our car never does this once it's been unlocked. I have no clue why it locked itself, but it did. There I was, staring through the window at my keys and phone on the seat, with no way to get them.
Miracle #3.
I know what you're thinking....why is this a miracle? Here I was, knowing that our adoption agency would be calling any minute with information about our court date. The very call we had been longing to hear for exactly 6 months. It has been exactly 6 months to the day since we first got the call that we had been matched with our beautiful daughter. I could have cried. But instead, I felt humility and a peaceful joy fill me and I LAUGHED.
Don't you think God uses these little moments in our lives to turn the focus from ourselves back to Him? I felt His peace and joy fill me and waited to see what He was going to do next. He took control away from me and led me to humbly back to Him. Back where I belonged.
Long story short, Benji ended up driving over an hour to get to the school to unlock my car, listen to the numerous voice mails and emails from our agency, and to try to soak in this life changing information...TOGETHER. Miracle #4.
Our court date is January 2, 2013. Miracle #5.
We leave for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in 9 days. This may seem like short notice, but to us it seems just the right amount of time. We were expecting to have to scramble and leave within just a couple of days....so 9 days seems just right. Not too soon, not to late. Miracle #6.
Benji and I were able to go to lunch at Panera Bread (the same one where we celebrated news of our referral 6 months ago), just down the street from the school. There, we called the adoption travel agent and over the next hour and a half, booked our flights. Miracle #6.
Our travel agent had a difficult time finding available flights for the dates we needed...this is just a really tough time of year to travel. So, we ended up needing to stay a few days longer than expected in order to get a flight home. Because of the longer trip, we will be able to be in Ethiopia and experience Christmas day there on January 7. From what we hear, being able to be there for Ethiopian Christmas is a really special experience. Also, plane tickets were nearly half of the price what we had been fearing they would be. Miracle #7.
We will be home for Christmas. Miracle #8.
Will will miss Isaiah's birthday on January 6, which is sad to us. However, on the way home this afternoon, I got a call from a good friend saying that she and another friend from our small group at church are already planning a birthday party for Isaiah on his birthday. So now he will feel love from both extended family and dear friends on that day. I'm blown away. This does my mama's heart good. I'm blown away. Another dear friend called and offered that Isaiah can come over to play while we are gone, as often as my in-laws need. Thank you, dear friends, for loving our son. Miracle #9.
Later this afternoon, my mother-in-law called to talk over flight options for she and my father-in-law. They are coming to take care of Isaiah while we are gone. Not only are the available to come and stay for the whole 12 days we are gone...they WANT to come. They are also coming a day early and staying 2 days after. Amazing. Miracle #10.
To top it all off, after having a nice celebratory dinner with my parents, when we got home, there was a special vinyl record in our mailbox that Benji has been waiting for for over 9 months. The cherry on top. Miracle #11.
To some, these all might seem like lots of nice things to happen in a day, or a bunch of coincidences. I know for certain and for sure, that the hand of GOD is alive and well and moving in our lives in ways that are mysterious, puzzling, exciting, daunting...and always......GOOD. All the time.
In our laughter, in our tears. In the good and in the bad. In the clarity and in the confusion. Our God NEVER CHANGES. He loves us and longs for us to trust Him. He wants to draw us near to Him and whisper to our hearts that He is with us always. He knows what is best, even when we are blinded by our pain.
In 11 days, we will be meeting our daughter, face to face. Miracle #12. There just aren't any other words to describe this one.
Lord, thank you for making us so acutely aware of these miracles today. Open our eyes to your miracles, both big and small.
What a beautiful Tribute to Our God :))
ReplyDeleteGod is good! so happy for you all..
ReplyDelete